Our House

Our House
is a very, very, very fine house...

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

And then there was a delay....

One thing we had determined from the beginning... "We are not going to be the ones that cause a delay!"  Our goal was to be available when needed and turn in paperwork quickly so that we were never the cause of a delay.  I'm sure you can see where this is going... we've been delayed... and it's my wifes fault (I refuse to take half responsibility!).  We had picked a lot that was "next in line" so to speak.  When my wife had visited it with a friend late last month, they noticed the big "box" in the yard.  It was decided that we would switch to a lot two down from that one (the one next to it was already spoken for).  What we didn't realize at the time, was how much that would effect our permitting.  Although it had only been about two weeks since we had picked the first lot when we changed our mind, we found out to today that it would cause a month (and two days) delay.  So instead of breaking ground on 5/8, we will be breaking ground on 6/10.

In the long run, it was probably the right decision (resale value and so forth) but right now it feels like a small kick in the gut.  It's not fun packing six people into a small temporary apartment... and finding out it will be for a month longer than already planned doesn't make it easier.  Right now, we are being told that it might not push back our closing a whole month but there is always a chance of other delays during the process so I'm sticking with the finishing being a month later as well.

It's hardly the end of the world.  I'm sure when it's all over, we'll look back on this and... nope still not laughing.  I'm already planning on turning to my wife approximately 30 years from our original closing date and saying "You know... it would be paid off by now if we hadn't switched lots!"

No comments:

Post a Comment